February 3, 2009

Herding Crowds or Authentic Follower of Christ?

Dear Utah/Idaho SBC,
Have you discovered yet how short and precious each day is? (I'm discovering this every day.) How much of your day gets chewed up on superficial things? I've been reading biographies of missionaries from the 1800's and early 1900's and find myself silenced by the preparation of a past era of the church and how she prepared herself to die well. She produced (like she still does today) followers of Christ ready to give themselves without hesitation to God.

Someone in the past must have spent time teaching followers how to die well. Will you join me in praying for a generation in the church prepared to die well? Pray for a generation that will be real with God and real with man. Pray for a generation of young men who will take hold of life and turn off their TVs and abandon the stuff that keeps them mediocre. Pray for young women who will be attracted by God's glory over the attention a guy gives her because of her clothing. Pray with me for both, that their emotions will no longer be dictated for them by this present age, but rather directed by God Himself who has promised He will never leave them or forsake them. Pray with me for authentic followers and fewer herding crowds.

O, for an awakening; an awakening in this land that will grip the attention of the world, An awakening that is heard from the silent prayer closet of a pastor praying and rightly dividing the Word of Truth. An awakening that shakes the sleeping out of their slumber.

When I look at this generation of young people I am both joyed and troubled. Joyed because this day calls for authentic followers of Christ, and they are among us. Troubled because more and more, in their attempt to be individuals, are looking more like the world than a follower of Christ. The real follower of Christ in this generation will have to stand by himself while his friends gently row their boats down an easy going river unaware of the present danger of the deadly waterfall just ahead. There is too much chatter and noise to hear the roar of the danger to know how near death is. Ironically there must be nothing more lonely and silent than dying without Christ. The masses may have things and stuff that are shiny, expensive, and loud but how lonely and tragic the day that will be when they die Christless. Pray for a generation of young people who will be still and know that God is God.

21 Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose. Phil 1:21 (MSG)

Are we disciplining our youth to hear God's voice or follow after the latest church fad? Have we taught them what it looks like to abandon the attractions of this world or have we simply taught them the skills of sounding spiritual? Will they inherret from us non-profit organizations we call 'churches' or are they watching us follow with abandon a supernatural God? Will our annuity accounts keep us secure for an unknown day or will we finally live like sojourners in a foreign land? Are we ready Utah/Idaho Southern Baptists? If not, let's ready ourselves now! In the getting ready don't we become the sweet smelling aroma of Christ to a tragically superficial world?

Unplugging my TV and going to the prayer closet; because I need God more than this world!
Paul <><

2 comments:

  1. Amen. At NorthStar we've had a potluck prayer meeting each Wed. since last summer. A couple of weeks ago we decided to stop bringing food (how un-Baptist!) so that those who wanted to fast on Wednesdays could do so discretely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bennett,
    I Bless God for you and your willingness to take a bold step. The boldness is not that NorthStar has decided to stop bringing food (you guys really did that?) but this boldness is that there are some who are fasting on any kind of regular basis. I keep wondering when the church will be the church and then I read your thoughts on your blog and visit your churches website and I'm reminded that the real church is being the church.
    When I grow up, I want to be like you! (I know that that will sound more like me just playing, but there is a growing respect I have for you present in my mind.)
    I'm praying for NorthStar as you continue seeking God's direction in your search for a pastor.

    ReplyDelete