November 17, 2008

Where the River Flows, Life Abounds (edited with corrected dates for UISBC Convention)

Our heritage (SBC) is rich isn't it? Over the past 15 years I've become more and more interested in our history. In my research and discovery I've learned what I've heard many times to be true that we are historically a people of 'the book' (Bible). As a people of the Bible it would seem natural that we would as well be a global mission minded people.

I don't know exactly what a president of a Baptist Convention does (not really what you want to hear, I know). I've decided to do what I think one should do until someone can give better direction. I spent time this morning and I prayed for every church in this Utah/Idaho Convention by name. I appreciate the amazing diversity of our region and the unique ministries of every local church and pastors.

God has allowed me [a second try] to be in the humbling position of the planning of an annual gathering of Baptists. October 27-28, 2009 at Central Valley Baptist Church in Meridian, Idaho, Baptists from the Utah/Idaho Southern Baptist Convention will gather. Will we 'gather' this year or will we 'come together'?
My recent observation of Ezekiel 47:1-12 has captured my attention. This text has some amazing focal points, it is a rich and meaningful text. I've included my (condensed) observation below (personal emphasis added).

9 "It will come about that every living creature which swarms in every place where the river goes, will live. And there will be very many fish, for these waters go there and the others become fresh; so everything will live where the river goes. Ezek 47:9 (NASB)

I first noticed how much the larger block of text spoke about water/river and the connection to live/grow. Then I began thinking about how this fertile agriculture land of Southern Idaho used to look 100 years ago, before the river [through irrigation] brought life to what was desert. Where the river flows, life abounds (MSG) . This is one thing that shines out of our heritage; were we take Christ (living water) life sprouts where death once was. Dying people don't need a program, they need life. Dying people don't need strategies, they need life. If life is what they need, what will bring it to them? The River.

This observation is really not at all very earth shaking. It is really more like a logical conclusion based on known facts of what the desert land needs to sustain life. Where do we need to take the River that life may abound?

No comments:

Post a Comment